Sunday, March 22, 2015

Theme 4: Person to Person Mariah Keeps Her Cool


As we read the story selections for this theme, at times you will be making a blog post to the class posting your thoughts and ideas on the question.

"Mariah Keeps Her Cool" by Mildred Pitts Walter

Introduction:
Mariah and her pals - the Friendly Five - are getting ready for a big swim meet, with the help of their classmate and coach, Brandon. Meanwhile, Mariah is planning a surprise birthday party for her sister Lynn, with guests bring donations for the homeless shelter where Lynn volunteers. Organizing the party has also brought Mariah close to her half-sister, Denise.

Read the selection title, "Mariah Keeps Her Cool" and the introduction above. What do you infer about Mariah? How do you predict her plans will turn out? Write at least a four sentence response and respond to at least one post on why you agree or disagree with someone.


34 comments:

  1. I predict that the sister, Lynn will know/catch Mariah and her friends working on the party
    I think this because in the story everybody thinks Lynn knows something and she is acting different

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Kai, I do thin Lynn will find out about the huge party her friends are throwing. and the reason why is really explaining why you think this.

      Delete
    2. I agree and disagree with Kai. I think that Lynn will find out about the party but will not tell Mariah that she knows to make her happy.

      Delete
    3. I agree with Kia because it is hard to keep a party a secret.

      Delete
  2. I predict that Mariah will not know that Lynn found out about the party, but Lynn will know. As well as that I think that Mariah and Denise will bond. I infer that Mariah is a busy girl, athletic, and she is medium in popularity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't agree with you because there would be no way for Lynn to find out unless she sees them do it, or someone tells her, and they are probably doing all of the work while Lynn is not there.

      Delete
    2. I agree with you on how Denise and Mariah bond and that Lynn secretly knew about the party.

      Delete
  3. I predict that Mariah won't have time to work on the party and Lynn will come in and the party will be ruined.

    I know this because I read the text and I think that because Denise asked if Lynn suspected anything.Lynn was probably gonna catch them before the party is done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joseph Nguyen 2026A
      I agree with Miles because Mariah will have to prepare a lot of stuffs for the party. And maybe Lynn doesn’t know and go to the backyard then the party will be ruined.

      Delete
  4. I think that it means that something happens and she stays calm and collected. Also I think that her plans will still be great. Also I agree with kai to because that could be a problom and that could be why it says the Mariha keeps her cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you when you said that there would be a problem and that is why Mariah has to keep her cool. I disagree when you said that the plans will turn out great because then how would she bond with her step sister.

      Delete
  5. I think that Mariah will be able to pull it off. I don't think that Lynn will find out about the party because from the introduction, you can tell that they probably do all of the work while Lynn is not there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Mariah's plan will work out because she has help, I think this means it will be easier to fix mistakes with at least some help. Mariah is a nice, friendly, and active person, I know this because she will take the effort to make the surprise party, she is kind enough to think about her sister. She will ¨connect¨ with her half -sister Denise. She wants to help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can infer that Mariah's mom and dad are divorced. In the introduction, it stated "Organizing the party has also brought Mariah close to her half-sister, Denise." If she had a step-sister, it means her parents are divorced. I can predict that her plans will not turn out as she expected because she needs help with the party from her step-sister, which may result in bonding with her step-sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree and disagree because I believe that her parents are divorced but I think the party will bring them closer.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. That is a very interesting way of thinking about things, I think it's good that you paid such close attention to what's happening, and every little word that it has in it. I also think it is interesting that you're thinking about something that allot of others aren't.

      But I agree that it will bring them closer together, and bond over the party

      Delete
  8. I predict that Mariah will have a crazy time because she has to go to a swim meet and has to throw a party for her sister. But then I think that she might be ok because it's a story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I infer that Mariah will have the party that she is making for Lynn, will be foiled by Lynn. I infer that Mariah is a very nice sister. I think this because she is making a surprise party just for here sister. She is also having people donate to the homeless shelter that Lynn voulnenters at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should explain what foiled means because I don't know what it means and I bet others are the same.

      Delete
  10. I infer that Mariah is a nice person because in the text it says"Meanwhile, Mariah is planning a surprise birthday party for her sister Lynn, with guests bring donations for the homeless shelter where Lynn volunteers." She is being really nice to do all of this for her sister. I predict that the party will fail because the text says that it is at a swim meet. I think someone with drown.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that Mariah will not be able to come to the swimming meet because something bad may happen. I also predict that the party will not go we'll because there will be something that will allow Lynn to find out or will be upset about Mariah and the surprise party.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I predict that Mariah well spend too much time working on the party and then they will get distracted from the swim meet, but they will still be able to make it to the swim meet. I think this because it says that they're practising and they are also planning a party so they will get distracted by planning the party.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I predict that her plan will work and they celebrate her b-day and everything will turn out great. I think mabe lynn fines out and she keeps a secret and she knows everything about the party.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think Mariah's plans might go awkwardly, because coach Brandon is working on it with Mariah and her classmate. And I have a feeling Mariah's coach is also Lynn's coach. So I think Lynn will catch her. Plus she's doing something that she doesn't normally do so she might know something about it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think that her sister will find out but she will still enjoy it. I also think that Mariah has a lot on her plate.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think that Mariah is nice because she is giving her sister a birthday.Also, she is getting closer to her half-sister.Maybe she helps her plan the party.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I predict that Mariah and her friends are going to go above and beyond to set up the surprise party but secretly Lynn found out about the party or caught them in the process of setting up. I infer that Mariah and Denise bond by the way that Denise and all of Mariah's friends went out of their way to help Mariah throw the surprise party.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree with Kai,I do think that Lynn will find out that Mariah and her friends will find out that they are working on the party without her.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think that Lynn might find out what Mariah and her friends are doing.
    I think this because she suspects something going on without her.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I infer that Mariah is a crafty person and she works hard a lot becuase she was going to teach people how to make paper flowers.

    I think her plans will go well and she will need a lot of help from her friends. I also think that she will win the swim meet.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Joseph Nguyen 2026A
    In mine infer about Mariah that she is not going to make it; because she will not have a lot of time to prepare the party for Lynn. I think there is too much guests from the homeless shelter and may be her grandfather and Lynn friends. Also for the Lynn’s party they have to buy a lot of foods for a lot of guests and she has to decorate the backyard. That is why I think she will not have enough time to prepare for Lynn’s party. I think Mariah plan will turn out well if her friends and her mom to help her to prepare birthday’s party.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I believe that Mariah's plan will work. I think this because she says that she is going swimming but they do not know that she is planning a surprise party.

    I think she worked hard on the party. I say this because she does not want anyone to know about the party.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think her plan will work.I say this because she is going swimming but she does not really going to go swimming.She is going to plan the party.

    ReplyDelete